Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Christies Recap

So, as many of you know, I had a date with a friend of mine last week (Thursday), where he took me to Christies. For those of you who don't know, Christies is the auction house in Rockafeller Center. I bought the outfit, got the hair, nails and make up done, the whole bit. (The whole bit cost damn near $300, but it was really worth it. Given the opportunity, I would do it again.)

So, we got there and I was the youngest person there by at least 10 years. Then it jumped to around 30 years. Some of the ladies were sociable. Most weren't. This is not a surprise. The men were not only sociable, but downright interested in HR Trends and my company and what we're doing. I even made a business connection. (Woot)

After wowing a table with a true story about an HR incident: the parents were talking about how involved other parents are at their children's schools -both public (which surprised me) and private (which did not). They were asking if this new generation of workers worked differently because of the (sometimes outlandish) attentions that they were getting. I not only put in my two cents, but joked and laughed, and informed some of them what to expect - because I had already seen it. They were scandalized. It was cool.

I did have a little trouble getting into the conversation. They know my date, and his wife. And, although he introduced me as his friend - it was terribly apparent that I am not accustomed to living like the top 1%. However, R - a top lawyer in NYC - interjected and told them to 'listen to her, she's does human resources for a living, so she knows what she is talking about.' After that, it was smooth sailing. Needless to say, however, his wife didn't say two words to me for the rest of the evening.

I have before and after pics of me that day. The befores were taken at work - honestly, I did NOTHING to myself, no make up or styling products because I didn't want to make extra work at the beauty parlor, but the difference really is between night and day.


BEFORE







AFTER








Kingdom's crusades was good. Had a good time marshalling, and lounging - a VERY good time lounging!

Had a friend over for the weekend, that was nice. He's from Seattle and I don't get to see him often.

Today I'm so tired, I'm dead on my feet. I think I"m still recovering from last wednesday - haven't really REALLY slept since.

Considered career paths for today:
HR for non-profit
HR for corporate
Counselor at mental health facility
Counselor for family of mentally disabled patients

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home