Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Temple

So, my co-workers have taken to asking me what I'm doing every night because it's interesting stuff to them. Then it dawned on me that they're starting to know more about what I do than my friends. That's not good.

So, last night I went to Temple... like Jewish Temple, not Temple U. I've always been intersted as an intellectual pursuit, so I went to Temple Beth Shalom's Friday Evening Shabbot.

I was a bit late - I couldn't figure out how to get in! Then I almost walked in the VERY wrong door... then I came in after the first song...thing... okay I have no idea what I came in after!

The whole thing was in Hebrew, and was sung, and quite beautiful.

I had called friends to help me dress beforehand,but was still dressed totally wrong. I felt over dressed very very overdressed. I was one of 3 women in a skirt, and the only one in a long skirt. There were about 40 people there - 15 or so were women. They were intermingled with the men, which I found more confusing... read on for that fiasco. Most women were wearing long sleeves, but I was one of 3 with a head covering - one of which doing most of the singing to the... um... empty stage - with a table with stuff on it. No Star of David, but there was a carving of a tablet in the wall. And other than that I was lost.

Yes, I did do a head covering. I don't have a kerchief, but I do have a shawl that matched my outfit, that I was able to drape over my head and around my shoulders. Okay only person wearing anything like that. The girl singing was wearing a yamaca (excuse the spelling) and the other woman was wearing a hat.

I loved the songs/chants - dont' know what they're called. They were beautiful, and I tried to hum along at least, and say the words, as written (ebonic words were provided), I did a lot of reading. It was very uplifting. No 'You're bad and going to hell for being bad.' It was like singing a history lesson. It was neat. And pretty... so I guess it was pretty neat!

Anyway...the fiasco. I was raised in a Cathoic church, which then became a Fransiscan church. Okay. That's the background.

So I was not unprepared for the standing and sitting exercises. I was always about a beat late for the bowing... never did the bowing before, and I was quite lost when the segment would end and certain men would continue mumbling something. I was like, Uh...

There were also parts where just the men would stand. And parts where just some men would stand. I jumped, though didn't totally stand each time, except once. Oops.

Also during the Shabbot Shalom, it seemed that the men were saying something and the women something else. So I said the wrong thing a lot.

But I really liked the rabbi. He was upbeat and inviggorating, and would tranfer his speech from English to Hebrew, but I still could follow it. It was neat.

Then at the end, I waited on the side for him, and he came up and had a big smile and thanked me for coming - especially in the weather. Then he took my hand for a Shabbot Shalom, and very nicely said, "Yes, so thank you for coming. But, who are you?"

And I laughed and said my name, and that I have been pursuing Jeudism as an intellectual pursuit for about 7 years, and wanted to learn more, so I figured I'd show up." He seemed intrigued and flattered and asked me to come to the 3 hour service they were having today - which I missed. And said that I should call him and make an appointment and he'll talk to me for as long as I'd like. And I was very happy. He said that their Saturday Services would be more intellectually stimulating, but that I was welcomed to join them any Friday that I'd like.

So in the end I felt: invigorated, out of place, and very welcome. It was an odd - yet good - combination.

Also, he said the 2 minute [prayer said at Passover]. I wish I could find it. It was a hoot! Of course, not knowing that word is hindering my finding it. So if anybody does have it, could they send it to me? Also, just for saying: it took him 1 min and 45 sec to finish it!

Okay - off to AFR on Route 73 to buy furniture.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sandie said...

Cool. Just a quick note though. Ebonics is not the word you wanted. It's definition is: any of the nonstandard varieties of English spoken by African Americans.

Phonetic is the word you want. It means they spell the word the way it should be pronounced.

6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home