Sunday, January 22, 2006

New Instruments - YAY

So, Arden loaned me a recorder at EK 12th night, because I've been trying the find one. I'm having a bit of an issue closing up the bottom holes, because the the smallness (and untrainedness) of my fingers... so the D and C are coming out funny. However, I put a bid on a really nice one on Ebay, certainly the same/similar however the finger holes appear smalller -and what with small fingers and all...but super yay... I've ALMOST got Belle Qui! I can get through it with few problems without the music and those problem spots seem worse when I play with because - of course- everythign else keeps going, then I get nervous and start screwing up my air!However, I've been offered the chance to play with the branslers - when I get good enough - so i'm really pushing for good enough. Now here's the 'have a goal but don't stress about it' - everytime I screw up I can almost see woodwindy or mamagrainne cringing, and my brain is like 'see you're screwing up everybody else'... but I'm sitting alone at my computer reading the music off the screen. I'm also really amazed to watch my fingers... I know that probably sounds strange, but I remember playing the recorder when I was younger. I'd sit in my room for hours and coach (and belittle) myself until I got through my entire recorder book perfectly. I'm trying not to put that kind of pressure on myself again, but I like watching my fingers start to remember things and pretty music come out. :)It's almost like with the piano- my fingers want to remember, but my brain keeps getting in the way. I still have the new flute too... but those keys need new pads and then when I get those changed THEN I'll be able to start with that. I was getting really good until I twisted a finger trying to keep a hole closed that wouln't on it's own. Next, the insturment I've ALWAYS wanted to learn... the oboe. This will be my first reed instrument. THEN the violin - the other one I've always wanted to learn. YAY learning!!! :)

4 Comments:

Blogger Sandie said...

Welcome to blogger! I have you linked on my page now!!! Anyway . . . I hope you have fun with your new instruments. And a quick secret to recorder playing: Usually problems covering the holes comes from tipping your finger to the side and that happens when we "think" that our hands are too small . . . Practice stretching out your hands as wide as you can every day. The more you stretch them, the easier your fingers will spread. Then make sure that you have the full meaty part of your finger tip covering the hole . . . not the boney side part!

Good luck and lots of love!

Sandie

9:06 AM  
Blogger Jennie C. said...

So what is it that you actually do? I've heard Sandie mention you. Are you a professional musician? Aspiring? Have a day job?

4:20 PM  
Blogger Sandie said...

So . . . ummm . . . how come you don't post here? Nothin' going on??

You know I check these things at least once a day and . . . I've seen the same thing over and over!

Love you and I hope you are well!

2:06 PM  
Blogger Niki said...

To everybody - I currently have 4 blogs on 3 different sites. And I'm TERRIBLE at posting to ANY of them!!!

I actually bought a recorder with smaller holes - I've been progressing much faster now - still not at the I'm ready in a week pace that I want to be, but close enough!! Like I'll be ready in 2 months when the next 'I want to be ready by' comes along! :)

I am only a closet musician - in hiding. Which means I'm hidden in a hidden closet! In the light of day I work in human resources (which I love) and I'm going to school for my associates in paralegal studies (because I couldn't decide on a major so I chose a random one!) And then I'm going to go for my bachelors in Business Management with an Emphasis in HR. :) (Transfer credits are good!)

In my free time LOL ... FREE TIME!! *Giggle* Sorry...

In my free time, I teach (and learn) rennaisance fencing, teach rennaisance/cavalier dance, work out, do massage (my first certificate/degress was in massage therapy), read tarot cards online. I'm also a partylite consultant, and almost every Saturday night I go to a goth club in Philly called Ulana's. (I know the DJ.)

:-D

Later, getting ready for clubbing and I can't find my foundation!

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home